Lockhart Power Company is committed to operating our plants and facilities in complete compliance with environmental regulations and in a manner that protects the quality of our environment. We pledge to work with local, state and federal authorities to develop practical, effective environmental solutions.
We strive for zero waste generation to all elements – land, air and water – to be achieved by continual improvement in all of our operations. Recycling of materials is an integral part of this ongoing effort. We further encourage our families, our associates and our communities through education and leadership to conserve our natural resources and protect the environment throughout our daily lives.
The design and construction in 2013 of our 6,600 square foot corporate office building in Lockhart, S.C. exemplifies our environmental commitment in the following ways:
- It accomplishes three separate functions in one building (company offices, customer service center and company meeting room) to reduce the building's footprint and associated use of materials and energy
- Materials from the demolished Excelsior Union Mill are reused, including the wooden beam decorative element in the main entrance
- Packaging used within the building is recycled
- The building is powered completely by electricity generated using 100% renewable resources by the adjacent Lockhart Hydroelectric Plant
- The building’s interior was painted with ECOS paints, a locally manufactured paint that contains no toxic chemicals, VOC's or solvents, resulting in a healthier working environment and better air quality for our customers and employees. In May 2014, ECOS paints became the first paint company in the world to earn the prestigious ‘Declare’ label for transparency of ingredients, safety and eco-friendliness.
- Very high efficiency equipment is used to minimize energy consumption, including HVAC equipment and LED parking lot lighting
This reduce-reuse-recycle approach is the embodiment of our company's environmental values, which are a source of pride for our employees.