Our History

Lockhart Power Company was incorporated in 1912 by an act of the South Carolina legislature. It was a wholly owned subsidiary of Milliken & Company (or a predecessor company) until 2007, when Roger Milliken decided to integrate it into the newly created Pacolet Milliken Enterprises.

The site of the existing Lockhart Hydro Project was originally developed by the state of South Carolina as a canal lock system in the 1820’s. In 1893-94, the original canal was enlarged and a dam was built to supply the newly constructed Lockhart Textile Mill with water for its hydromechanical water wheels. The current Lockhart hydroelectric facility was developed for the purpose of supplying electricity to the textile mill and later to the surrounding communities. In 1918 modifications on the 1.5-mile power canal and construction of the current power house began, both which were completed in 1920. The power house contains five vertical-shaft Francis turbines that were rehabilitated in the late 1980’s.

Timeline

In 2007, Lockhart Power Company became a subsidiary of Pacolet Milliken under its Energy and Infrastructure Group. Pacolet Milliken was spun out of Milliken and Company that same year and its family of companies now includes, along with Lockhart, Ni Pacolet Milliken Utilities and Charleston International Manufacturing Center.

In 2012 Lockhart Power celebrated its 100th anniversary by giving back to its community. The company planted 100 trees throughout its service area to celebrate each of the company’s 100 years of service. In addition, Lockhart Power sponsored numerous community events throughout the year in order to honor the power company’s 100th anniversary while supporting the local people and economy.

In 2013, Lockhart Power constructed new corporate offices next to the Lockhart hydroelectric facility to accommodate growing administrative space needs and to provide an updated service center for its customers . Also in 2013, Lockhart Power built the Minimum Flow Unit and bought and upgraded the Upper Pacolet Hydro Project which is located on the site of a previously demolished textile mill.

In 2018, Lockhart expanded its service territory for the first time in over 25 years with the completion of a new 60 MW sub-station at Pacolet’s Tyger River Industrial Park. This Park, previously in an unassigned electric territory, has been annexed by Lockhart and represents a significant growth opportunity.

In 2020, Lockhart, together with Pacolet Milliken, is developing a 12.75 MW solar facility in the Midway Green Industrial Park, which is expected to be completed by 3rd quarter of 2020.

As of 2020, Lockhart Power also manages and operates a fifth FERC-licensed hydroelectric project, Buzzards Roost, on behalf of the County of Greenwood. Buzzards Roost is located at the outfall of Lake Greenwood.

Menu