What to do if…
- A tree has fallen on a power line? A power line is down? You heard an explosion/loud boom near a power pole or transformer?
Answer: Call the outage reporting number at (864) 545-2211 or (800) 368-1289, and stay a safe distance away from the power line.
- A fire has started due to an electrical outage?
Answer: Call 911 for emergency help if necessary, and evacuate to safety.
- Before digging?
Answer: Call 811 or (888) 721-7877 and the SC811 service will contact its member utilities (including Lockhart Power) to come out and mark any underground utilities before you dig, at no charge to you.
General Electrical Safety
Stay away from utility power lines, both above ground and below ground. They can cause you electrical shock if you get close enough, maybe even if you don’t touch them. If you must work near a power line, contact us in advance to help make sure you do it safely.
Customer-owned generators must be installed by a qualified electrician after contacting Lockhart Power, who will address applicable safety matters and ensure that the back-up generator will not back-feed into an electrical fault in the utility’s system.
Keep an outage survival kit on hand and make sure your family knows where it is and how to operate the items, such as:
- Flashlights (either plug-in that turn on when the power goes out or hand-cranked, in case of dead batteries)
- Candles and safe lighters
- Fire extinguishers (tested periodically)
- First aid kit
- Bottled water, canned food, etc.
See the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website for tips on building a general disaster kit.